Monday, December 14, 2009

We're young, we don't need health insurance!

I can’t remember how many times I’ve bragged about never being sick. But really, I’m never sick.
I have health insurance, but I haven’t seen a doctor in a long time because I’m 18 and I think that nothing can hurt me.

Don’t we all?

But…I was thinking today about my life.
I know, deep.

Anyway, my boss recently had a heart attack and that’s scary to me. He is not exactly the healthiest guy I know, he smokes and eats Philly Cheese Steaks like there is no tomorrow, but he didn’t LOOK sick either.

Now, I’m 18 and other than my braces (ha-ha) I don’t think I’ve gone to a doctor for anything serious.

But, in twenty years I’ll be almost 40! And I won’t be as healthy as I am now, I’m sure.

It’s tough to look into the future as you are aging and see such uncertainty. I think that as human beings, t security is what we long for most and that security comes in different ways.

Money, love, and health are among the things we want most. Being able to be healthy is not only what we want for ourselves, but we want it for those around us as well.

When I am 40 and have children and a husband, my health will not be just about me, but it will be about my family as well.

People who are in this situation now and people who are going to be in this situation later (because we all will be) need and want this kind of security.

This, I think should be a right, not a privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment