Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sad Story of the Day.

The other night I was hanging out with a few friends and we were talking about injuries. Then one of my friends starts telling us about the day that his dog (a bulldog that weighs as much as me) accidently bit his hand. My friend doesn't have health insurance, so he didn't go to the hospital...instead...he tried to stitch his own hand.

One, he is a stupid boy, and that is not a good idea, but it got me thinking about how important health insurance is to people. If he would have had insurance, he could have just gone to the hospital and have someone who has actually gone to school for years do it for him. But when you're young, you're stupid, and you think you're invincible, so these are the outcomes.

He was playing with the dog when he bit him, so he went to the pharmacy and got what he thought he would need to stitch it up. HIs idea of sanitizing the needle was alcohol...and he googled how to stitch.

Thank God for Google, huh?

Also, thank God that his hand didn’t fall off. He could have gotten anything! I think it might have been the worse idea ever. I didn’t believe it at first, but his mother confirmed it.

I know that paying for something like stitches doesn’t seem like a waste of money, but when you’re young and broke-it sounds like a good idea to do it yourself.

Bottom Line: You know you need to go to the hospital, but a trip to Ride Aid is cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment